Health and Physical Education promotes an understanding of the importance of personal and community actions in promoting health and lifelong participation in physical activity, and of the crucial role that supportive physical and social environments play in the development of the health of individuals and communities.
Health and Physical Education helps young people learn about factors, including nutrition, that promote and protect the physical, social and emotional health of individuals, families and communities, and the range of health-related services and products available in the community. They learn to identify the harms associated with particular situations and behaviours, and how to take action to minimize these harms. They consider personal and community rights and responsibilities, and the cultural and social diversity of Australia in relation to health and safety so that they are informed in making decisions about their own and others lives.
A significant aspect of young people's lives is their physical, social and emotional development. The Health and Physical Education recognizes the challenges faced by young people as they grow and develop, and the many contexts in which they form and negotiate relationships with family, friends, partners and groups.
Participation in physical activity provides opportunities for relaxation, enjoyment, recreation, fitness, social interaction and competition. The experience of physical activity in play, recreation, sport, fitness and outdoor environments, provides challenge, personal growth and enjoyment.
Health and Physical Education aims to develop in students:
• an understanding that health has physical, social and emotional dimensions
• an understanding of the factors that impact directly and indirectly on the health and safety of individuals, families, groups and communities
• knowledge and skills to plan, implement and evaluate actions to promote the health and safety of individuals, families, group and communities
• an understanding of the physical, social and emotional development across the human lifespan to promote their health and well being
• an understanding of how relationships develop and change, and the knowledge and skills to promote effective relationships
• experience as a skilled participant in play, games, gymnastics, aquatics, sport, outdoor activities and recreation
• an understanding of the physiological, biological and sociological dimensions of movement and fitness
• an understanding of how food provides nutrients for energy and growth, and plays a significant social role in people's lives
• knowledge and skills to select food to promote health and growth
- Healthy Relationships
- BluEarth (Grade 3 - 6) - a personal fitness & personal development program (see below for further information on the BluEarth Program
- P.M.P - a personal awareness program for prep / one students
- Fruit Break - P - 6 participation in a healthy eating program
NB. The drinking of water is strongly encouraged!
BLUEARTH is a movement and activity based program that uses the physical domain to help children better understand themselves, peers, teachers and the important relationships that exist between them. By creating an inclusive environment in which a range of individual, partner and group activities take place and through skilful guidance and questioning amazing results have been recorded.
In order to create sustainability of the program Bluearth provides on the job training for teachers in the school. The Coach will be working with teachers and their classes throughout 2012 on a fortnightly basis - please feel free to speak with the Coach or your child's teacher if you would like to know more about the program. Alternatively you might like to visit the Bluearth website www.bluearth.org
Bluearth Family Challenge: Click here for an activity you might like to try at home.