Mathematics pervades all aspects of our lives and has applications in all human activities. Competence in mathematics enhances both our understanding of the world and the quality of participation in Australian society. Mathematics deals with concepts in the domains of; number, measurement, shape, chance and data and reasoning and strategy.
Mathematics at St. Aloysius is taught from the child's experiences. As each learner grows and develops, so abstract understandings can be introduced and reinforced. At all levels our staff draws on the children's growing knowledge of the world to ensure that abstract ideas are related to familiar things.
Through learning mathematics children will work towards:
• building up a bank of strategies to solve problems
• developing knowledge and skills in using mathematics for everyday
• enjoying the challenges of and discoveries in how number works
• learning skills and developing understandings of mathematics needed to live in and contribute to the community now and in the future
• using manipulatives and technology appropriately and effectively to support the learning of mathematics.
• becoming numerate