At St. Aloysius the children in grades Prep - 6 study Italian on a weekly basis.
The curriculum includes a language awareness program focusing on an appreciation of Italian culture as well as sequential program developing children's abilities to speak, listen, read and write in Italian.
The ability to use a language other than English and move between cultures is essential for full participation in the modern world. This is especially so given an increasingly global society and Australia's cultural diversity.
In the development of intellectual and social skills, our Language program offers children the opportunity to:
• use language to communicate with others;
• understand how the language operates as a system and, through comparison, how other languages, including English, are structured and function;
• gain direct insights into the culture which gives the language its life and meaning;
• consider their own culture, and compare it with the cultures of countries and communities where the language is spoken;
• understand that cultures are quite often different, but that they all have values;
• add to their general knowledge;
• enhance their vocational prospects.
• in learning to use the language effectively, our children will develop an understanding of the culture linked with the language and the ability to move beyond their own culture;
• while learning another language, children will acquire knowledge of a range of subjects and concepts drawn from other key learning areas.
Our program caters for the needs and reflects the interests of students. It is sequential and builds on students' previous experiences, skills, knowledge and abilities. It is planned to be challenging and well balanced.